Almost all cars on our roads need either gasoline or diesel to drive. Crude oil, a black mass formed from dead algae, helps make both these fuels. In this article we – from Metro petroleum – will tell you all about what you have to know particularly about it.
How is Diesel produced?
One of the products created from crude oil is the diesel fuel. The refining process turns the viscous, dark, thick crude oil into the much lighter fuel.
Crude oil refining starts with heating up the viscous liquid to over 400 degrees Celsius. This process turns the liquid into a vapor. The vapor then enters a fractional distillation tower.
As the vapor rises, it starts to cool down. The vapor reaches a certain temperature point and the hydrocarbon chains within it return to a liquid state. At different levels of the tower are distillation plates that capture the liquids as they emerge.
The longest hydrocarbon chains have a boiling point over 400 degrees Celsius. As soon as the chains enter the distillation tower, they start turning into liquid again. This process continues up the tower, with various distillates emerging as the vapor cools further.
When the vapor reaches between 200 and 350 degrees Celsius, The fuel begins to emerge. The distillation plates collect this vapor and siphon it into a holding tank.
Advantages of diesel engines
Diesel engines are economical:
These engines have better energy consumption than gasoline engines. They have up to 15 percent better efficiency.
Low Carbon dioxide emissions:
Due to its low fuel consumption, CO2 emissions are also significantly lower than with a gasoline engine. Over the years, it had become more widespread due to the importance of CO2 issues.
Diesel engines are powerful:
Due to their higher efficiency, These engines have more power and last longer. On average truck, engines cover well over 1 million kilometers. Even passenger cars break the 500,000 kilometer barriers.
Disadvantages of diesel engines
Effect of diesel on human:
Particulate matter from diesel engines is harmful to health. They can attack the mucous membranes and lead to coughing, breathing difficulties and eye irritation, as well as impairing heart, circulation and lung function.
Cost of the diesel:
Particle filters today are so good that they can filter up to 100 percent of fine dust. But that costs money. As a result these engines are expensive.
What is Diesel? : Why it is more expensive?
Historically, diesel fuel has been more expensive than gasoline. This is due to the factors mentioned below:
Comparatively, Diesel fuel has a higher federal excise tax than gasoline and also has a higher tax at the state level.
The production costs have increased over the past 15 years because of additional treatments required at the refinery to produce an ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel product with not more than 15 ppm sulfur.
What is Diesel? : Why customers still interested in it?
- Percentage of consumers of these engines for their next vehicle purchase has increased from past few years.
- With the demise in popularity of petrol, the bias has moved to diesel which has attracted 5.3 percentage of people more than recent surveys conducted by Roy Morgan in the year of 2018.
- From almost a decade, the market share of light-duty vehicles sold with a diesel engine has increased.
- Almost all consumer goods sold, are dispatched to retail via trucks. Out of this, 64% of all medium and heavy-duty vehicles on the roads were equipped to run on diesel fuel.
- Convenience Retailers remain committed to it because of the large profits in the market. In addition, these fuel typically deliver stronger retail margins for the retailers.
What is Diesel? : Does it still have a future?
- Diesel cars are about 20 percent more efficient than any other gasoline cars as it gave more kilometers per liter.
- The new engine generation already demonstrated how vehicles can provide a technical solution we can also say that improvement of the emissions of many older vehicles both effectively and relatively are swiftly using vehicle software updates.
- Finally, the improvement of diesel drive systems will greatly help us reach climate targets over the medium term because it reduces the amount of CO₂ from road traffic.
Diesel is very economical, has lower CO2 emissions, and is very powerful, but it had downsides such as the harmful particles and the pollution. But technological advancement is also a solution to this problem. Over the past two decades, the these engines have improved significantly.
They are no longer the sluggish and noisy smokers of the past decades. In addition to that diesel engines do not rely on throttling the intake mixture to control power. As such, the reduced-power efficiency is far superior to that of the spark-ignition engine.
We – at Metro petroleum – offer you high-class diesel, gasoline, and so on. We always strive to give you the best experience at your nearest gas station from you. Our 200+ stations offer various services and will make your gas station experience as enjoyable as possible.